Shirley and Andrew’s wedding at Atlanta’s Piedmont Garden & Tent is filled with fresh details for a look that’s both playful and timeless. The palette is a variety of neutrals—black and white stationery, blush and champagne bridal party gowns, and gold accents—all come together seamlessly in a variety of understated choices. We love the way the floral appliques on the bride’s gorgeous Tara Keely gown are complimented by soft florals and gorgeous garlands by Boukates. Lucky for us, Cottrell Photography was behind the lens to capture all the details in these lovely images. Enjoy!
What made the wedding special and unique?
From the bride: The most special part to me was that we were able to bring together 3 very different cultures seamlessly & effortlessly (Chinese, Korean & American. Thank goodness to our families for being so open-minded and respectful). In addition to be able to have all of our favorite people together celebrating us was just overwhelming altogether (75% of the wedding party was from out of state and out of the country)!
Tell us about the gown and where/how you found it!
Where do I even begin? Prior to visiting Bridals by Lori, I’ve only looked at gowns online & visited 1 BHLDN store event. My favorite styles have consistently been the more lacy, sultry, modern bohemian look similar to Grace Loves Lace & BHLDN gowns. The only reason I made an appointment at Bridal’s by Lori was just so the moms could be part of the bridal festivity. Well little did I know, that was where I was going to find my perfect dress! On the day of our appointment at Bridal’s by Lori, I was accompanied by my maid-of-honor, mom, groom’s mom & groom’s sister. I gave them my budget (max $3000) and told them each to pick dresses/styles they would like me to try on. We ended up with about 7 dresses and I “said yes to the dress” that my mom just so happened to pick! It was the 3rd dress I tried on! Although, it may not have been the type of dress I initially thought I’d wear but it was THE perfect dress for my wedding day. It was the only dress I got “the feels” in and it was the only dress that made me feel like a bride. Not to mention, the designer of my dress (Lazaro) just so happened to be in town that day and he was sweet enough to gift me a sketch of me in my wedding dress. Voila!
What were some touches added to make the wedding personal?
- First look
- Handmade H decor by groom’s sister
- Handmade Funfetti Marshmallow Pops, Rice Krispy Treats and DIY gold handle sticks by the groom’s dad.
- Dessert Spread instead of just wedding cake: Groom’s cake was groom’s favorite fruit tart from Whole Foods. Groom’s mom also brought Korean rice cakes as it’s a Korean tradition.
- Unity Tree instead of candle – idea was to watch/let your love grow, not just uniting for the moment.
- Welcome book is designed/produced with engagement pictures and includes favorite Bible verse. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
- Head table floral garland runner
- Corn hole game in the yard for happy hour activity
- Misc Details: Black and white paper napkin for drinks, assorted blush & gold paper straws for drinks, gold foil balloons of couples initial, glow sticks, glow foam sticks, sparklers and color changing ice cubes.
- Bride designed almost all signage and stationery
- Veil from a new friend because I was missing something borrowed
- Mom of the bride wore traditional Chinese Qi Pao dress
- Ring (bride’s engagement diamond) passed down from groom’s grandma/mom
- Bride’s grandpa flew in from China just for the wedding
What was the most memorable part of the day?
Seeing each other for the very first time at first look. We’ve cried so many times up to that point and have had so much anxiety built up that we didn’t know what to expect from each other.
Tell us how you met and became engaged.
1/14/2011 Gold Room Night Club (not a strip club!) is where it all began. It may not have been the ideal place to meet your prince charming but hey, love happens when you are least expecting it, right?! Gold Room Night Club sounds sketchy but we were actually introduced by our not-so-sketchy mutual friends attending the same birthday event that night (kudos Michael & Ben). Fast forward to 11/21/2015, after 4+ years of amazing memories and milestones, Andrew surprised me on a casual Saturday stroll through Old Fourth Ward Park and asked me to be his forever.
Photography: Cottrell Photography // Day of Coordination: JSL Co // Florist: Boukates // Venue & Catering: Piedmont Garden & Tent // Cake: Sweet Peeps Bakery // Videography: Imagine Video Production // Music & Sound: Spectrum Entertainment // Hair Stylist: Sydney King, Veronica Sitterding & Company // Make Up Artist: Glam by Ruthie // Gown: Bridals by Lori, Tara Keely Collection by Lazaro
videography @imaginevideoproduction // day of coordination @jsl.co // florist @boukates // venue & catering @piedmontroom
hair stylist @sydneywking @vsandcompany // makeup artist @glambyruthie // cake @s_peeps_cake